Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Hump Day

Good morning, sorry I haven't been on for awhile! The home bakery business kicked my butt! I am not used to putting in 17 hour days and I have been pretty much been sleeping around the clock since Sunday, as we completed our orders on Saturday.

I hope to get the doll dress done today and I will share it later today or tomorrow.

I volunteered for our area's Stephenson County Teen Conference yesterday. It was interesting. There were 3 schools invited; they were Freeport schools 8th grade, Lena-Winslow 8th grade, and Aquin Catholic Schools 8th grade. They did crafts in our area and went to listen to speakers, they received pamphlets about giving back and volunteering to help others less fortunate! It is truly a great idea, and for the most part it was well received! There were two groups and they came in at different times. There were 6 different craft areas set up, the first was for making birdfeeders, rolling pinecones on a ribbon into peanut butter and then into bird seed, fun and simple, I don't know where these were going as all the craft areas were being donated to an area organization. The next was taking wooden blocks and painting them different bright colors, these were being given to the Health Dept. and to Headstart for screening of children. I don't know what the next site was for it was assembling coloring pictures to construction paper and making little booklets, I saw the one was about feeling angry, so I am wondering if it maybe went to Voices, our area's organization for helping families of domestic abuse. There was a stations set up for the kids to wrap floral tape around fake flowers and putting them into flower pots making bright cheery arrangements for area nursing homes I think. There were 3 tables set up for the children to write thank you letters to our Service men and women. and last but not least there were two stations set up for the kids to assemble little fleece blankets for the pregnancy center, they were two sided, a different co-ordinating fleece on each side and the material had already been cut into strips on the edges, the children simply tied knots with the strips and assembled them into finished blankets. All of the kids were pretty good about working in our area, some were much faster that others and some lost interest when they found out they weren't taking the blankets home. LOL. But in the very last group we had a young girl with a very bad attitude! I mean she was so angry and disrespectful, not to me and the lady I was helping, but to her teachers. She was so lippy I just wanted to shake her or talk to her. Unfortunately this was not my job. I did talk to her and she begrudgingly answered me. I complimented her on her work even though it was only haphazard. She would mumble under her breath out loud and make her feeling well know. It made me sad that such a young girl was so angry and disturbed and acting out like that. I wondered what her home life must be, I always see kids that are friendly and helpful outside of their homes. Maybe they are brats at home but not in public usually. So this was a real eye opener for me. I pray for her and her family. All in all it was a good experience. I wish there was someway they could screen the kids they include in these programs, to the ones that care and want to be there.

Well I have a Dr.'s appointment this morning so I better get busy. Have a great day, and I will talk at you later.

I so enjoyed the Irish quote I used on St. Patty's day I wanted to share a few more.

“May God grant you always...A sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you, a sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you. Laughter to cheer you. Faithful friends near you. And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you.” Irish Blessings quote

No comments:

Post a Comment